Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Symmetry... Really?

So there I was simply having a normal evening, when Ami started gathering our footwear and playing with it. She was arranging them in her own fashion and moving around as if she was busy at making art. :) I'm usually the first person to bring out my stern "Amiiiiiii" when she touches footwear (for obvious germ reasons), but that evening the interest with which she was doing her task, made me stop and wonder what she was actually doing. 

Once she was done and had moved on to her new task (coz her attention span is too less for now), I actually walked up to see what she had been doing with our footwear. And was pleasantly surprised to find 'Symmetry'. 



I have never thought her anything like this till date and I do know she's far too young to understand the concept of symmetry (when she doesn't even understand left and right); but call it fluke or beginners luck, there I was, staring at symmetry in footwear. I was stunned to see that she had done it intuitively.

I later did google "when do children start understanding symmetry?" to see if it was a common phenomenon that I was just not aware of, but didn't find any articles convincingly explaining the same. So for today, my brain wants to believe my baby is going to be a math-wiz! Fingers crossed. Let's hope I say cheers to mommy intuitions some day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com